Monday, July 6, 2009

When 'experts' exhibit egos

Posted by Madibeng Kgwete: 06 July 2009

One question that bothers me all the time about our media is this: when will they (the newspapers, radios, televisions and – lately – online editors) start giving the poor a platform to tell their own stories?

I get depressed listening to so-called “experts” trying, almost always unsuccessfully, to articulate the frustrations of ordinary South Africans living in conditions of abject poverty, cut out from the lifestyles of today’s liberated new middle class.

I am looking forward to a day when I switch on my television for a primetime news bulleting/programme and see a poor person in studio analyse his/her own condition, or a victim of crime talk about his own wretchedness.

When you have a politician and an “analyst” in studio, all they seem to do is engage in a war of egos. What each of them seems to be saying is: “I know better than you do.” It all comes across as an intellectual showdown rather than a genuine attempt to analyse our socio-economic situation.

No comments: