Monday, October 25, 2010

Open Letter to SABC Operations Manager

Dear Frank Awuah, Manager for Operations at the SABC

Re: It is time to renew your television license

Thanks for your letter, dated 07 October 2010.

In the letter, you remind me that I must pay my yearly television license of R250, 00 by 30 November 2010, failing which I may “incur (unspecified) penalties.”

As a responsible citizen, I have no desire to face any of those “penalties” – so I will pay the amount as expected.

However, I should take this opportunity to remind you, as a representative of the SABC, that you should also take responsibility for the service you are supposed to render.

Just in case you need to be reminded, a couple of weeks ago the SABC was supposed to televise a game between the national football team, Bafana Bafana, and Sierra Leone. Not surprisingly, you failed to televise the game.

I am not sure what you do with the money that I pay into your accounts every year for my television license, and you don’t even bother to explain this. The only time I hear from you is when you remind me to pay up – which I always do.

I hope part of my money does not go to purchasing the many old American television shows that get repeated on your channels. Just the other day, in mid-September, Oprah Winfrey wished me a happy New Year (three months before the end of the year).

I also read in the newspapers that the chairman of the parliamentary committee on communications, Ishamail Vadi, criticised you, the SABC, for breach of relevant procurement processes.

The committee also reportedly said the financial position of the corporation “remains precarious” and that the board has not been able to hammer out a turnaround strategy.

So, does that mean I must just keep paying my annual R250,00 (for fear of those unspecified “penalties”) without knowing where it goes? Exactly what do you do with my money?

I hope you’ll respond to my questions.

Regards,

Madibeng Kgwete

TV license payer

1 comment:

Anton Vreulink said...

I too would like to talk to the SABC's Frank Awuah, but have not yet found his email address. His Department sent me 4 threatening SMS's telling me to pay my tv licence or else I would be in all sorts of trouble. I am 64 years old and have loyally paid TV licences for longer than he has been on this earth, let alone work at SABC. anton@cosmoprop.co.za

Frank, I pay bona fide invoices when I receive them, not when you send stupid sms's insisting on money. So please get your house in order and invoice me timeously, then you will be paid. Continue to sms me veiled threats and you will see what legal consequences you will soon face. I am not amused by your attitude and will take legal recourse if you persist. After all, you,as a public service provider work for me, loyal taxpaying citizen.